Adult & Paediatric Vitreoretinal Surgeon
DR MANOHARAN SHUNMUGAM
MBChB (UK), MRCS (Ed), CCST (UK), FRCOphth (London), AM (Mal)
Dr Manoharan Shunmugam, Director of Clinical Services. Sub-specialty in Adult and Paediatric retinal diseases.
Dr Mano graduated from the University of Dundee and did his initial training in Ophthalmology at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary in Scotland. He completed his training in London, followed by vitreoretinal surgery fellowships at St Thomas’ Hospital, London and LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. He is currently recognised as the only fully trained Paediatric vitreoretinal surgeon in Malaysia and treats complex retinal cases from around the region, especially in premature babies.
Dr Mano has a keen interest in research with publications in a wide range of high-impact journals. He is also a contributing author of 2 book chapters in vitreoretinal reference textbooks. He is also an active contributor at a charity medical centre called the SivaSanta Medical Clinic, a charitable wing of the Temple of Fine Arts in Kuala Lumpur, which provides free healthcare to anyone seeking treatment at its premises. He is also the current Honorary Secretary of the Malaysian Society of Ophthalmology (MSO).
Outside his work, he enjoys tinkering with his gadgets and played a key role in developing ‘Morphision’, an electronic application which can semi-quantitatively define and monitor metamorphopsia (visual distortion).
Consultant Ophthalmologist, Adult & Paediatric VR Surgeon
Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur (Bangsar), Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Oasis Eye Specialist
Consultant Ophthalmologist, Adult & Paediatric VR Surgeon
The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital, Petaling Jaya
2013 - 2015
Paediatric Vitreoretinal Fellow
LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Locum Consultant Ophthalmologist & VR Surgeon
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, London
Retinal Surgery including Retinal Detachment Repair (Vitrectomy & Buckles)
Age-Related Macular Degeneration & Intravitreal Injections
Paediatric Retinal Diseases
Retinopathy of Prematurity
Diabetic Retinopathy & Laser Photocoagulation
Inherited Retinal Dystrophies
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
GMC, UK - Specialist Register
European Society of Retinal Specialists
American Society of Retinal Specialists
National Specialist Register, Malaysia
Malaysian Society of Ophthalmology
MMA National Health Policy Committee
English, Bahasa Melayu and Tamil
1. Shunmugam M, Laidlaw DAH. Retinal Re-detachment due to missed breaks (Chapter 36A). In: Lois N, Wong D. Complications of Vitreoretinal Surgery. Wolter Kluwer Health ~Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2013: Philadelphia; PA. [ISBN: 1451119380]
2. Shunmugam M. OCT Imaging (Section). In: Williamson TH. Vitreoretinal Surgery, 2nd edition. Springer 2013: Berlin; London. [ISBN: 3642318711]
PubMed Indexed Publications
1. Shalchi Z, Shunmugam M, Mahroo OA, McDonald RJ, Dogramaci M, Laidlaw DA, Stanford M, Mohamed M. Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in a Case Series of Patients with Bilateral Diffuse Uveal Melanocytic Proliferation. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2014 Dec; 22(6):490-3 [PMID: 24988007]
2. Qiang Kwong T, Shunmugam M, Williamson TH. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachments secondary to retinal dialyses. Can J Ophthalmol. 2014 Apr;49(2):196-9.
3. Williamson TH, Lee EJ, Shunmugam M. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and their relationship to success rates of surgery. Retina. 2014 Jul; 34(7):1421-7.
4. Dawson SR, Shunmugam M, Williamson TH. Visual acuity outcomes following surgery for idiopathic epiretinal membrane: an analysis of data from 2001 to 2011. Eye (London). 2014 Feb;28(2):219-24.
5. Shunmugam M, Shah AN, Hysi PG, Williamson TH. The Pattern and Distribution of Retinal Breaks in Eyes with Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;
6. Shunmugam M, Ang GS, Lois N. Giant Retinal Tears. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2014 Mar-Apr;
7. Shunmugam M*, Ugarte M,* Laidlaw DA, Williamson TH. Morphision: A method for subjective
evaluation of metamorphopsia in patients with unilateral macular pathology. Indian J
Ophthalmol. 2013 Nov;61(11):653-8 (* joint first authors)
8. Lee E, Williamson TH, Hysi P, Shunmugam M, Dogramaci M, Wong R, Laidlaw DA. Macular
displacement following rhegmatogenous retinal detachment repair. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013
9. Williamson TH, Shunmugam M, Rodrigues I, Dogramaci M, Lee E. Characteristics of
rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and their relationship to visual outcome. Eye (London) 2013
10. E Casswell, Shunmugam M, Spalton DJ, Williamson TH. Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence
Tomography (SD-OCT) demonstration of an orbital colobomatous cyst. Retinal Cases & Brief
Reports. 2013; 7:310-2.
11. Shunmugam M, Hugkulstone CE, Wong R, Williamson TH. Consecutive Toxic Anterior Segment
Syndrome in combined phaco-vitrectomy. International Ophthalmology. 2013 Jun;33(3):289-90.
12. Wong R, Lee E, Shunmugam M. Novel technique for silicone oil retention suture with secondary
auto capsulectomy of fibrin membrane. Eye. 2013 Feb; 27(2):280-1.
13. Wong R, Lee E, Shunmugam M. Comment on ‘Silicone oil removal after rhegmatogenous retinal
detachment: comparing techniques’. Eye. 2012 Sep; 26: 1276.
14. Shunmugam M, Shunmugam S, Laidlaw DA, Williamson TH. Air-Gas Exchange Re-Evaluated:
Clinically important results of a computer simulation. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual
Science 2011 Oct; 52(11): 8262-5
15. Shunmugam M, Chan E, O’Brart D, Moonim MT, Stanford MR, Morley AM. Cutaneous γδ T-cell
lymphoma presenting with bilateral ocular and adnexal involvement. Archives of Ophthalmology
2011 Oct 129(10): 1379-81
16. Shunmugam M, Morley AM, Graham E, D'Cruz D, O'Sullivan E, Malhotra R. Primary Wegener's
granulomatosis of the orbital apex with initial optic nerve infiltration. Orbit 2011 Jan; 30(1):24-26
17. Shunmugam M, Williamson TH. Recent Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of
Vitreomacular disorders. European Ophthalmic Review 2009 Dec; 3(2):8-13 & US Ophthalmic
Review 2011 Mar; 4(1): 17-22
18. Ang GS, Shunmugam M, Azuara-Blanco A. Effect of Cataract Extraction on Glaucoma
Progression Index in Patients with Glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma 2010 Apr; 19(4):275-8
19. Paranjothy B, Shunmugam M, Azuara-Blanco A. The quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy
studies in glaucoma using scanning laser polarimetry. Journal of Glaucoma 2007 Dec;
20. Paranjothy B, Shunmugam M, MacKenzie J, Azuara-Blanco A. Peripheral ulcerative keratitis in
pityriasis rubra pilaris. Eye 2007 Jul; 21(7):1001-2
21. Shunmugam M, Azuara-Blanco A. The quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies in
glaucoma using the Heidelberg retina tomograph. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2006 Jun; 47(6):2317-23
22. Shunmugam M, Williamson TH. Recent Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of
European Ophthalmic Review 2009 Dec; 3(2):8-13 and
US Ophthalmic Review 2011 Mar; 4(1): 17-22